Why am I so passionate about all-natural skincare?
- Did you know that your skin is your largest organ, and much of what you put onto it (estimated at about 60%) is absorbed into your bloodstream? Think of all the things you put on your skin on a daily basis. That’s a lot of stuff being absorbed!
- Did you know that the EU bans over 1,300 chemicals that can be used to make cosmetics because they have been lined to conditions such as cancer and birth defects? Here in the US, the FDA bans a grand total of 11. That’s a pretty huge difference!
- The US hasn’t passed a major federal law to regulate the safety of ingredients used in personal care products since 1938. 1938! World War II hadn’t even started yet!
Some of the ingredients that you should be on the lookout for (in order to avoid) include (but are certainly not limited to):
- Parabens (like methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben & ethylparaben)
- Phthalates (like dibutylphthalate/DBP & diethylphthalate/DEP)
- Ethanlamines (like diethanolamine/DEA, triethanolamine/TEA & monoethanolamine (MEA)
- Polyethylene glycol & propylene glycol
- Sodium laurel sulfate/SLS & sodium laureth sulfate/SLES
- Synthetic flavor/fragrance
- Mineral oil
But guess what – many of these show up in the products that you probably use every day!
One quick example – I found out that the facial cleanser that I has been using since middle school contained propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, methylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben…FIVE POTENTIALLY HARMFUL INGREDIENTS! That was what inspired me to create my first ever DIY skincare product – a facial cleanser…
DIY Beauty/Skincare Product Recipes